On November 8th, Issue 2 will be on the ballot in Ohio.
Very simply, the decision Ohio voters will be making is as follows:
- A YES yote allows Governor Kasich’s collective bargaining reform (SB 5) to go into effect
- A NO vote essentially returns collective bargaining power to the unions.
Unions are spending millions to defeat Issue 2 and right now, it appears (based on polls) they are winning.
Why it’s important:
- Ohio is a big battleground state.
- If the unions win, they will be emboldened going into 2012. A loss for them will be a huge setback for them.
- Pre-market meltdown, Ohio had $46.5 billion in unfunded liabilities (retiree pension and healthcare). It is higher now.
What is needed:
For you twitter gods:
- Tweets to encourage people to GOTV
- Tweets on Issue 2 related posts (see below), with a push to GOTV
- Phone banking: Building for a Better Ohio has info here to help: https://betterohio.org/
Posts (as/if you have time)
Frankly, at this point, anything urging GOTV is crucial. However, for background, Jason Hart has been doing a phenomenal job writing on the topic. Here is his twitter acct https://twitter.com/#!/
jasonahart Even RT’ing his posts would be good.
Here are some posts (Jason’s, et al) that you may find useful:
- ‘Yes’ to all three questions on Ohio’s statewide ballot: Kevin O’Brien | cleveland.com : https://goo.gl/Teo5H
- Ohio: Issue 2, Collective Bargaining and the Moral High Ground: https://goo.gl/0OB88
- OEA Employee: “OEA’s attitude is about power” : https://goo.gl/kvoVV
- Chart: We Are Ohio Funding : https://goo.gl/Jx1sM
- Union Bosses Use Soldiers as Props: https://goo.gl/2sq56
- NEA Attacks Ohio Union Reform: https://goo.gl/N13hC
- The Truth About Senate Bill 5 : https://goo.gl/UtidG
- With Each Ohio Citizen Owing Government Workers $6150, Union Bosses Urge A Return To Cannibalism: https://goo.gl/iTtJa
This is a good resource (if you need background):
Again, since this will likely have an impact on 2012, the more you can do the better.
If you do a post or tweet, please post it as a comment here so others can RT (or link) it.