A Few Words to My Friends at Unified Patriots

Three years ago, I understood very little of what goes on in the realm of politics in our nation.  I was a greenhorn, as naïve as they come, on this point.  I’d never really been involved in anything political before.  All I knew at the time was there was something about then-candidate Obama’s “Hope and Change” message that sounded like a bold-faced lie sugar-coated for the purpose of misleading and deceiving people.  It set up a lot of red flags for me personally, so I made it a point to try to learn more about what was going on.  This is what brought it about for me to become involved in conservatism.

I’ve learned a lot in the past three years.  I’ve learned that the nature of politics in our country can be incredibly dishonest and deceitful at times.  I’ve learned that politics can be a contrary beast, going against basic everyday ordinary common sense.  I’ve learned that when it comes to making a choice between what is wise and prudent for our nation’s future versus what is politically expedient, 9 times out of 10, politicians will choose what is politically expedient.  This kind of mindset is just very deeply engrained into politics, and it is going to take a long time for that mindset to change.

For those of us who do want to see our leaders make the kind of choices that are wise and prudent, watching them go the path of what is politically expedient time after time after time gets very discouraging and disheartening.  There have been more times than I can count when I’ve found myself with a really bitter taste in my mouth, so to speak, watching them floundering around to find a way to cover themselves politically first and foremost rather than to stand their ground on principle and do the right thing.  And each time, when the sense of bitterness and discouragement hit me like a ton of bricks, I vowed to myself, “I will back away from this, just go my own way, ignore it, pretend it doesn’t matter”, etc., but after thinking it over, I always came back to the fight.  Our nation’s future is at stake, and regardless of my own feelings or how discouraging and disillusioning it may be to see politicians take the path of least resistance repeatedly, if I didn’t accept responsibility to try to stay involved in what ways that I could, I would regret it for the rest of my days.  So I came back to the fight.

But not everyone sees it the way that I do.  People are different.  Some of us can tolerate the incredibly inane nonsense that goes on in politics and remain at least relatively sane, but for others, it simply cuts away at their confidence and respect for those who have been elected into office too deeply, leaving them feeling hopeless and helpless, burdens them down with a heavy weight of disappointment, for them to be exposed to it for any length of time.  For this reason, because I know how disturbing the nature of politics can be, I’ve been determined that I wouldn’t judge others too harshly if they decided that they just weren’t able to take on the battle.  It is enough to drive a person insane.  Those of us who can stay sane have to stay in the fight for as long as we can.

I am hoping that conservatives in general and conservative websites who have this amazing opportunity to sow the seeds of conservatism for future generations will remember that we can’t win people over to conservatism simply by focusing on the negative things or the failures of our leaders day in and day out.  We also have to try to present to people the positive side of conservatism, i.e. why conservatism is the better choice to make in the long run, how it can help our nation, how it can help our families, how it allows us to help ourselves rather than being dependent on government for our futures, how it empowers the individual rather than enabling big government, etc.  If we focus on the strength of conservative policies, we can win people over for a lifetime, and this is the best hope our nation has in the long run.

Conservatives also need to be realistic about what lies ahead.  We all know that spending has to be cut and entitlement reform has to take place in order to get our nation back on the right track.  But with unemployment being what it is at this point, it is difficult to know how the job market will respond.  We have reason to believe, from historical evidence, that a change in policies will take the pressure off of businesses, leaving them with more confidence to expand and to hire more people, but we have no way of knowing for absolute certainty that this is what WILL happen.  So we need to be prepared for the worst as well as the best, and this means being willing to help out our fellow citizens until such time as the economy does stabilize.

I’d already considered this one myself, and have plans in place to start up a small part-time business, not so much for the purpose of bettering my own financial situation but for the purpose of being able to help out to fill in the gap if it takes a while for our economy to pick back up.

Those plans are on hold now.  Just about everything in my life is on hold for right now.

Two weeks ago, I went in for a yearly physical.  The report I got back from my doctor isn’t good.  I have a major health issue that I’m facing.  Today, my doctor has advised me that I have to focus on this challenge and keep my stress level as low as possible in the process.  My family, may God bless them, is begging me to do this.  So I have to retreat for the time being, hoping that, God willing, it will let me stand to fight another day.

I’ll just close with saying that each of you will be in my thoughts and my prayers every day.  Stay in the fight.  Keep the priorities in the right order.  Always consider the long-term picture.  Don’t be afraid to try things that are creative and innovative to find solutions to the challenges that our nation is facing.

It’s been my honor and privilege to be here, with all of you.  Hopefully, I’ll be back before you know it.

0 0 vote
erickbrockway
Editor
August 1, 2011 2:37 pm

Dang 🙁
Prayers up, hope you get better soon!

Jack Savage
August 1, 2011 2:39 pm

I will keep you lifted up in my prayers and wish you a speedy recovery. From one who has also had to take a break from time to time, even without significant health issues, your decision is a good one.

See you soon.

Queen Hotchibobo
Editor
August 1, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for posting this. I want to be able to pray for my friends and compatriots when they are in need and I can assure you, you are in mine as we speak.

redneck hippie
Editor
August 1, 2011 2:55 pm

Line, you’re one of the best of us, and you have been in my thoughts and prayers this day and will continue to be until you get your health back.

vassarbushmills
Admin
August 1, 2011 2:58 pm

Lineholder, I’m sorry I missed your comment yesterday. You’ve walked into a giant prayer circle here, of enormous power. believe me, this is true. And I don’t mean just some of the time, but all the time.

I know yo keep in touch, so keep us posted as you go through this ordeal. You can’t imagine the power of this group.

Prayers up
Vassar

janetney
janetney
August 1, 2011 3:00 pm

God bless you…you’re doing what’s best for you and your family…we’ll miss you…

nessa
Editor
August 1, 2011 3:14 pm

Take a break Lineholder, we’ll pick up your well deserved slack. That’s what battle buddies are for!

You’re in our prayers!

Lady Penguin
Admin
August 1, 2011 3:27 pm

Prayers for you, and your family, lineholder.

Regardless of the challenges you now personally face, know that we, here at Unified Patriots, are concerned and care.

Just as we use our combined strength to hurdle political obstacles, we’ll use our spiritual strength to entreat the One God who made us all, to comfort, abide with you, and touch His healing hand upon you.

God Bless.

LadyImpactOhio
August 1, 2011 3:53 pm

You’ll be in our hearts and prayers lineholder. You’ll never walk alone.

bobmontgomery
August 1, 2011 4:00 pm

All those questions you asked, and all those answers you got – they fortified you, and not just as a conservative. You have gotten incredibly strong in the past couple of years and started giving back to your conservative brothers and sisters, so there is a reservoir of strength here for you.

Hugs, prayers and smiles.

Hooah_Mac
August 1, 2011 7:03 pm

We are here for you in whatever way we can be. We are praying for you. For some, there are times in our lives when we come face to face with mortality and there are times when things out of our control dictate what we are capable of doing – I’ve experienced both of those situations, so I know something of what you are going through, even if my experience was not truly the same. You do what you need to do to take care of you. That is job number one. In the meantime, we will assault the current… Read more »

Pamela
August 1, 2011 7:30 pm

Afternoon LH

Already put a call into the Sisters of SJ and a NA Tribal Womens prayer circle.

Reducing stress helps, diet, herbs, lots of prayer and remember laughter. Get some H. Allen Smith, S.J. Perelmen, and James Thurber, The Marx Brothers and Red Skelton.
If you haven’t already, go barefoot in the dirt and squish your toes. Simple pleasures.

Good Luck and Blessings

cactusjack
cactusjack
August 1, 2011 8:13 pm

Well LH you’re well covered in prayers. I’m a dog person, but unless you already got one, go get a cat. They are amazing, amazing companions specially suited to go with us through this kind of deal. If you don’t have one and perchance one suddenly shows up at your door– keep it. God bless.

Mike gamecock DeVine
Editor
August 1, 2011 8:53 pm

Godspeed back to health. You have done great work and have influenced many for the good. Now, concentrate on you. In Christ.

Kimberly_Schwartz
August 1, 2011 9:33 pm

Lineholder, I am so distressed to hear this news, and at the same time amazed that you can put together another amazing post even in the face of it. You can certainly take confidence in the knowledge that you’ve laid lots of solid groundwork that others can build on while you are concentrating on a different kind of challenge. Please take *very* good care of yourself, and know that there are lots of prayers and positive energy coming to you from Central Georgia.

civil truth
August 1, 2011 9:33 pm

“To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven”. But the good news is that God is Lord of the seasons.

Rogue
August 1, 2011 10:32 pm

We’ll be praying for you.

mriggio
August 2, 2011 12:05 am

Please focus exclusively on regaining good health. I believe all will be well with you. When you are ready, your return will give us a reason for great rejoicing. Until then, we will hold the line. Prayers for peace & strength for you & yours.

TNJim
Editor
August 2, 2011 12:46 am

Prayers for you and your family, lineholder. Know that we will always be supportive of the battles you wage, be they political or personal, especially this health problem. Your input has been valuable, and so has been your friendship, albeit an online one. Take care, and hope the recovery is speedy.

texasgalt
Editor
August 2, 2011 12:56 am

We’ll keep the light on for when you return in good health. Blessings.

JadedByPolitics
Admin
August 2, 2011 1:59 am

I just don’t know what to say, other then I am so incredibly sorry to hear of your bad health news, you take care of you and we will take care of the ongoing battle with Mordor on the Potomac 🙂 I am praying for you and your family, God Bless you!

StephC
Admin
August 2, 2011 7:10 am

Prayers aplenty and always. I have no words of comfort or sympathy that matches what is felt inside but I do know all victories, large and small, both private and public, are rooted in faith because it is faith that gives us the strength to endure and overcome.

Stix
August 2, 2011 4:45 pm

Prayers will be going out.

streetwise
Editor
August 2, 2011 4:55 pm

Prayers and hugs for a speedy recovery!

St George Frederick
August 2, 2011 5:25 pm

Don’t make us sad, Lineholder

Brian Hibbert
Editor
August 3, 2011 4:17 pm

May God bless you and protect you during this time.

Get well soon and keep us updated.

haystack
Admin
August 4, 2011 11:45 pm

LH-I pray now, and will light a candle for both you and your family… for God’s mercy and Mother Mary’s grace in the trials God has set before you in the times ahead: Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day (or night) be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen. For comfort and reassurance: One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes… Read more »