Last night I was elected to be a member of the Republican Party Central Committee.
Hooraws and a hat tip to ColdWarrior, but here’s the thing:
I decided to get involved in this way over a year ago and I won’t actually get sworn in until August 16th. That’s about 16 months of effort before I could actually begin to make a difference.
Why so long? Here’s MY sequence. your results may vary:
1. I read some stuff by ColdWarrior and made my decision to get involved circa May 2010.
2. Google Republican Party to find my county GOP website – check. Meetings monthly on the third Tuesday, (checks calendar), damn! That was last night!
3. Marks calendar for June 15th – figets
4. Missed June meeting. My Outlook reminder popped up while I was away from the PC and I didn’t see it until I was too late. Sets reminder in Blackberry, (surgically attached to my hip) for July 20 meeting.
5. Attends 7/20/10 meeting, Bewildered my unfamiliar meeting protocol and mostly cool reception of Committee members. Met some people, but still no clue as to how this thing works. Sets Blackberry for Aug 17 meeting.
6. Missed Aug 17 meeting – Family vacation. Set BB for Sept 21 meeting.
7. At 9/21/11 meeting met some more people including local TEA Party types. Exchanged email addresses, etc. Still no clue how this GOP thing works.
8. Auxillary GOP meeting for training precinct walkers, walked a precinct handing out literature, etc. Ramping up for Nov 2010 elections.
9. Oct 18, 2010 meeting was high energy with much discussion about what local races we could have a chance with. My candidates were hopeless so I volunteered to be a poll watcher for a candidate in another district, (we *almost* won it! It took weeks to find the dem won by a few hundred votes)
10, Nov and Dec 2010 – no meetings. Membership changes, etc. I don’t really know what went on because I wasn’t a part of it.
11. Next meeting attended was Feb 15 2011. Here I cornered the committee secretary and told her I wanted to be a member. She informed me that I had to be nominated by my State Assembly district committee, then elected by the county committee. Oh. Well what district am I in anyway? Got the official forms, etc. Did not even ID members of my district committee at this meeting.
I’m not sure how much this varies from state to state. ColdWarrior always talks about Precinct Committees, but here precincts do not have committees, only Assembly Districts have committees. or at least that is the smallest committee. My State Assembly District is composed of a great many precincts. Oh well, that’s called learning the rules and I’m up for it.
12. Mar 15 County meeting. Met members of my District. exchanged info, etc. My Assembly District Committee meets on the 4th Thursday each month. Mark it in the Blackberry. Check.
13. Mar 24 District meeting. Yes they have *one* vacancy and (dammit), another new attendee is also imterested in the vacancy. We submit our names, etc. We’ll be in contact, etc.
14. Apr 19 County meeting. My district nominates the other guy for the vacancy. (crap!)
15. Apr 28 District meeting cancelled.
16. May 17 County meeting. My District Chairnan missed the meeting, (2nd in a row). My District committee report includes that this months meeting is also cancelled, (what!?).
17. June 21 County meeting. My District Chairnan missed the meeting again, (3rd in a row). My District committee report includes that this months meeting is also cancelled, (WTF People?!)
18. July 19 County meeting. My District Chairnan missed the meeting!! (4th in a row). County Chairman notes that by the rules my District Chairman has resigned. In a side conversation one of my District committee members asks me if I’m still interested. I reply Hell Yes! I am nominated and elected to the committee. Next week at the District meeting we will need to elect a new Chairman…I wonder if I’ve got a shot at it?
So there you have it. I left out a lot of activities both with the GOP itself and with the TEA Party folks I met up with. That was all fun too, but not really a part of the process.
My point in detailing all this is if any of you folks out there think there’s still plenty of time to get involved think again. If I had started all this right now today, I would not have gotten nominated and elected until just before the 2012 election, too late to influence nominations, etc.
So do it NOW before it’s too late!