The Slough of Despond – A Chart

Posted by on June 3, 2011 8:58 pm
Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Categories: Patriot Dispatches

Graphic image via Calculated Risk, calculatedriskblog.com

Thanks to modern computerized graphics, the reddest of red flags can be seen, understood and shot around the globe with just a few quick clicks. Take a close look at where our jobless recovery and horrid unemployment has landed us–the Slough of Despond, from which only a miracle of statesmanship and a bloodless (preferably) revolution can rescue our flailing nation. Lest anyone forget, our enemies in Washington, DC are planning to tax their way out of this so-called recovery. Calculated Risk promises to have much more on this soon.

The current employment recession is by far the worst recession since WWII in percentage terms, and 2nd worst in terms of the unemployment rate (only the early ’80s recession with a peak of 10.8 percent was worse).

This was well below expectations for payroll jobs, and the unemployment rate was higher than expected (both worse)…

It is not unexpected if you’ve been paying attention.

h/t Business Insider Clusterstock Chart of the Day

10 responses to The Slough of Despond – A Chart

1. cactusjack June 3rd, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Gazing in the crystal ball we see new memes exculpating Obama, soon to be trial balloons floated by the lapdog MSM and liberal elitists too smart for flyover country:
    1. “Just get used to this high unemployment and inflation, being an Italy or Greece is the new reality for us all and it’s what America deserves anyway, having been such a bad actor on the world stage for so long. Let us thank Obama for understanding what *needed to be done* and easing us into our new role as just one more grubby, class stratified country . It is a thankless job.
    2. “Obama hasn’t had enough time…” Give him more time!
    3. “If Obama couldn’t do it no one can. Washington is broken, no one can fix it….the country is hopelessly divided and ungovernable. [which leads conveniently to…]this creaky old yellow parchment of a Constitution was a nice idea once but it doesnt work, we need to institute a panel of seven really smart intellectuals who can go in and *make the changes that need to be done*.”
    4. “If not Obama we might get…..OMG Sarah Palin!!”

• redneck hippie June 3rd, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Hey, laughing out loud Jack. I should have included some highlight clips. Mark Steyn was filling in for Rush the other day and had one of his classic riffs going about licensing rabbit sellers & Obama pulling rabbits out of hats. Steyn is the greatest master of hyperbole I can think of.

If Sarah runs, it’s going to be more than worth the price of admission – what tangled webs the collectivists will need to weave, in order to keep her message from getting through.

I heard one the other day where the lefty pundit was trying to say Obama’s uh uh uh tick was because his mind is too quick and powerful for speech. LOL

• cactusjack June 4th, 2011 at 9:51 am

That one hould be on a list too, RH! I think I have heard it as well. We would like to claim creativity for this list but honestly in my case I just listen to known Obama supporters at work , in the media or other places outside the home. The good thing is, they are noticeably starting to shift nervously in their chairs or body language as they mouth off this stuff. Even they are getting nervous at the unending 9% unemployment figures. Falls flat to blame Bush anymore.

• redneck hippie June 4th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

There is conjecture out there about how bad Zero’s re-elect numbers are in his internal polls. How desparate will he get as election gets close and things continue to spiral downward?

This is a crisis too horrifying for the right to waste. We need to hie thee hence to our precinct/district meetings and campaign offices, tout de suite (NOW!)

2. lineholder June 4th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Great chart, RH. I’m a visual/data kind of person anyway, so I prefer charts to words any day of the week.

Just looking at cactusjack’s possibilities above, I think #2 is leading the pack on leftist’s site right now to justify away Obama’s absolutely abysmal handling of economic issues. Talk about naive and gullible!!!!

In addition to what you and Jack have both stated above…notice how some high-dollar Dems contributors are now beginning to bail out on this little project of “fundamentally transforming America”?

• redneck hippie June 4th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Yes, Line, I have been hearing about that as well. It is amazing how fast we can get the attention of those whose ox is being gored. The coalition of the unwilling has been building for some time, but we can’t just sit back and wait for developments. Will we all commit to doing the necessary work to take advantage of this crisis too good to waste? I look forward to this next election like never before. Grief, anger, desparation are powerful motivators. Let’s git ‘r done. This chart was emailed to me & it lit a spark. Others seem to see what we here see. The Obamacrats are destroying us.

3. Brian Hibbert June 4th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

What I can’t understand is why all the bad economic news is ALWAYS reported as “unexpected”. You’d think these geniuses would be able to figure out that this economy isn’t as good as Obama keeps trying to say it is.

• redneck hippie June 4th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’ve been thinking about that, and I believe one cause is that they do not take free will into consideration in their analysis. I’ve heard it called “static” analysis. In other words, there are repercussions that they do not consider. Redistribution sounds all warm and fuzzy until you find out that not only do you run out of other peoples’ money, you also force employers to cut back on or freeze raises and employment.

• mriggio June 5th, 2011 at 8:10 am

I think its also because they either haven’t heard or choose to ignore the implications of the first time socialism was tried on our shores. As always, epic fail then, epic fail now.

• redneck hippie June 5th, 2011 at 9:57 am

Excellent response. I’ve only heard bits of Rush’s monologue on the first Thanksgiving. I do like to tell people that part of my ancestry traces back to Governor Wm. Bradford, through my Mom’s father. Upon the near annihilation of Plymouth colony, the foundations of the free market were built. It’s an amazing storoy. Thanks for the link, mriggio.

For those not familiar with the name, he was