Word Games from the Culture of Death: You Say Eradicate, I Say Abortion

Posted by on April 4, 2011 5:00 pm
Tags:
Categories: Patriot Dispatches

The Institute of Neurology and Genetics in Nicosia is heralding a new, less risky pre-natal test for Down Syndrome, emphasis mine:

“Down’s Syndrome, or Trisomy 21, is the most common cause of mental retardation with an incidence of one in 600 births,” Philippos Patsalis of the Institute of Neurology and Genetics in Nicosia told reporters.

“This method can apply to all pregnancies not only those at risk,” he added, describing it as “one of the most important milestones in the history of the institute.”

He said the cheaper and quicker method of blood sampling rather than collecting fluid from the womb will encourage more couples to take the test and therefore slowly eradicate the disease.

By “eradicate the disease” he means eradicating the baby through abortion because there is no cure for Down Syndrome. It’s more word games from the culture of death; from a world that protects sea turtles but not its own children.

Have you seen a child with Down Syndrome lately? Very likely you have not because about 90% of babies diagnosed with it are aborted. We live in a world that wants to choose the hair color, gender and intelligence of its children. We want to say, yes, this baby gets to live but not this one; he’s not perfect enough. We don’t want the pain and suffering. We don’t want the cross. We want only pastels.

But what this world fails to comprehend is that when you pass on the pain, you often miss the joy that comes with it. I know because my brother has Down Syndrome. And yes, there has been pain but there has been much happiness too. He brings light to this dark world with hugs and smiles. His cheeky ways send us into fits of laughter. He has a beautiful life.  I don’t want him “eradicated”.

The Love that moves the sun and other stars, have mercy on us.

10 responses to Word Games from the Culture of Death: You Say Eradicate, I Say Abortion

1. Lady_Penguin April 4th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Yes, it is word games with their philosophy, though many in medicine think they are doing this for humanity. What they don’t understand is that being imperfect keeps our humanity.

• texasgalt April 4th, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Penquin, you alway get to the heart of the matter.

It is about our humanity.

2. JadedByPolitics April 4th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

It is only a hop, skip and a jump to “eradicating” gays and girls (ala China) and of course all the other babies they are already KILLING.

3. lineholder April 4th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

takkat, I’ll share a personal story on this one. Others here may remember it from another place.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had the 4-month AFP done. This is the test that checks chromosomal levels of spina bifida. On the other end of the spectrum, this test can also be indicative of Down’s Syndrome.

My test came back indicative of Down’s Syndrome. My OB-GYN recommended a amniocentesis, which I agreed to do. And this physician also stated that dependent on the outcome of the test, we might want to “review my options”.

Back then, it took 3 weeks to get the results from an amnio. I knew nothing at all about Down’s Syndrome, so I used those 3 weeks to get educated. It never once crossed my mind to consider the option of getting an abortion. But I had two other young children and wanted to prepare myself mentally for what kind of changes we would have to make in lifestyle if the results did confirm Down’s Syndrome.

The results came back negative. My daughter is now 23 with kids of her own. But even if the outcome of the tests had been positive, I still would have made the same choice. The life growing insider of me wasn’t my own. It was someone else’s. Who was I to say that they could not live?

During those 3 weeks, I met youngsters with Down’s who were full of life, hope, innocence, energy and this uncanny capacity to love people unconditionally that most of us “normal” folks somehow lose along the way. That’s God gift to us, through them.

• redneck hippie April 5th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

LH. When I was a teen, I used to volunteer at Marklund Home. Those children had not only certain disabilitities but some of them were so bad off they needed institutionalization. They were, however given life. Thanks again for sharing your story.

4. texasgalt April 4th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

takkat,

Aborting a Downs child isn’t just murder. It’s rejecting a blessing, and refusing a gift that will re-prioritize your life.

• nessa April 5th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

A family friend has a Down’s Child, a wonderful sweet girl. She was always a huge NASCAR fan and swore by “Million Dollar Bill.” In the mid 90’s just before the night race at Bristol Bill Elliot was meeting with his fans. They took her three hours early and stood 100 deep in the already formed line. As Bill walked by on his way to the tent where he would meet with his fans he noticed my friends. A few minutes later his manager came out and asked my friend if Bill could meet with his daughter before they opened the event to everyone else. Her eyes lit up like Christmas morning. Almost three hours later she left, arms loaded with memorabilia, cars, tshirts, sweatshirts, posters and the memory of a lifetime. And the crowd that was stuck waiting outside an extra three hours? They applauded as she came out. Damn, ain’t Americans great?!

• brad12345 April 6th, 2011 at 1:19 pm

It never ceases to amaze me me how similar of an experience families with a child with DS have. You think you are a snow flake and have been touched in a truly unique way…. then you read your story come out of hundreds of other parents mouths!

Here is my story: https://liftedupbyds.blogspot.com/

• redneck hippie April 6th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Welcome to UP, brad. So nice of you to come to our little corner and share your story.

5. Mike gamecock DeVine April 6th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

God would have aborted every child born of woman save one had he used man’s criteria. Its about the least of these.