An Appropriate Use for Power

Dan Riehl has a post up, In Contrast to Boehner, Pelosi “Drove Health Care Down GOP’s Throat.” I’d like to suggest an alternate title, “In Contrast to Boehner, Pelosi Had the Cojones to Use Her Power and Position to Get What She Wanted.” Over long, I know, but accurate nonetheless.

This brings up the question, would I want Speaker Boehner to use raw power to “drive something down the Democrats’ throat? When it comes to repealing or defunding Obamacare, absolutely, the difference being that Boehner would be acting in accordance to the will of the people, rather than in direct opposition to it…as Nancy Pelosi did. So a word of advice to Speaker Boehner: you’re not winning any friends by including funds to implement Obamacare in your continuing budget resolutions. I’m just sayin’, you know, because the the tea party has a bit of power of its own to wield.

Other than that, Dan said it very nicely, so be sure to click through and read it all.

0 0 vote
itsonlywords
I think about things, then I write about them.

vassarbushmills
Admin
March 16, 2011 4:00 pm

i totally agree, but i doubt Boehner’s the man to to that. He doesn’t have the Senate or the WH to back his play, but I doubt, once those other two pieces are in place, he’d do it anyway. But maybe he would. I’d sure like to see it, though.

redneck hippie
Editor
March 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Disconcerting to say the least. My talk radio hero, Levin, has been all over this and everything Obamacare, including but not limited to his Landmark Legal Foundation’s involvement in proving O’care unconstitutional.

Sticking to the rules concerning an unconstitutional and voided law is not my idea of truth to power.

nessa
Editor
March 16, 2011 5:52 pm

This being a conservative site I will not mention what I would like to see driven down the Democrats throat, but I would dearly love to see it. San Fran Nan may have gotten her agenda through, she accomplished what every dem for the last 60 years has wanted to do, socialize medicine, but I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror if I did it the way she did. I place a great weight on Leadership, the Army did its job well, I know from experience that good Leadership can bring about the impossible, what she displayed was not… Read more »

erickbrockway
Editor
March 16, 2011 9:15 pm

April 15th is right around the corner, maybe they ALL need a reminder?

Mike gamecock DeVine
Editor
March 17, 2011 11:13 am

Since the Dems are going to insist on a shutdown and always were unless we agree to cuts so small it would be a betrayal to agree to, there is no reason why we shouldn’t up the ante to establish our post-shutdown negotiating position. This has always been obvious, i.e. that there would be a shutdown or an unacceptable compromise that would betray the mandate of the election.

streetwise
Editor
March 17, 2011 6:51 pm

This is a marathon, not the 50 yard dash. As I think about this more, there is a time to take on the shutdown, but not now. Offer Obama a thousand spending cuts, and make the Dems offer excuses not to do any.

Then in 2012- “hey, we TRIED. You want to preserve your country? Throw the bums OUT!”

I understand that views on this differ in our coalition. That’s a good thing. It shows the GOP has a pulse.