Are we in worse shape than Japan?

Posted by on March 13, 2011 3:08 pm
Tags: , , , , ,
Categories: Patriot Dispatches

No, we’re not. The devastation in Japan is brutal.

Nobody wants to say it, but this disaster might surpass the 2004 Tsunami in Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Close to 170,000 people were killed there and many more injured.

The human cost is enough to break even the hardest heart. I will guess that the Japan tsunami will surpass Banda Aceh not only in terms of human death, but in monetary terms as well. The Disaster-modeling company AIR Worldwide said it estimates the insured losses from the Japan earthquake/tsunami at between $15 billion and $35 billion. So we’ll just double it to 70 billion and round up to 100 billion dollars in damages to the Japan coastline.

100 Billion, that’s a bunch of money. But 100 billion is dwarfed by the amount of 1.5 Trillion. I’m trying to get a grasp on these numbers but my calculator doesn’t even go this high.

“My favorite way to think of it is in terms of seconds,” says David Schwartz, a children’s book author whose ‘How Much Is a Million?’ tries to wrap young minds around the concept. “One million seconds comes out to be about 11½ days. A billion seconds is 32 years. And a trillion seconds is 32,000 years. I like to say that I have a pretty good idea what I’ll be doing a million seconds from now, no idea what I’ll be doing a billion seconds from now, and an excellent idea of what I’ll be doing a trillion seconds from now.”

It would be one thing if 1.5 trillion was our Total debt, but it’s not. It’s the total deficit. It’s spending above and beyond the call of duty. It’s hard to grasp….1,500,000,000,000 smackaroos over a non-existent budget. I’m embarrassed when I’m a couple hundred bucks over a budget, but at least I make one.

The damage to Japan is horrible, but can you imagine, we could rebuild the Japan coastline 15 times with the money we’ve over spent in just the past few years. It’s unbelievable. It’s unsustainable. It’s undeniable.

The damage to Japan could be much higher than 100 billion, but I think you get my Drift.

7 responses to Are we in worse shape than Japan?

1. LadyImpactOhio March 13th, 2011 at 3:16 pm

$100 billion?? No way. Think of the cost alone of that nuclear power plant in trouble, to fix all those buckled roadways and bridges. Since they are much more affluent than Indonesia, think of the goods and possessions the Japanese must have in contrast. Also, based on the videos it looks like a ton more cars in Japan than in Indonesia, and newer ones at that.

$100B WAY too low.

2. Kenny Solomon March 13th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Japan’s PM Naoto Kan is currently under the microscope for illegal foreign campaign contributions.

He also ‘gets it’ when he stated on TV quite simply and in a calm manner that “The future of our nation depends on our response to this crisis”.

And yes, I too think $100 Billion is quite a low estimate.

3. SEC March 13th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I think about entire villages wiped out. That means grandmom, dad, son and grandaughter all gone in some cases. That’s too much for many to be able to wrap their minds around.

I also agree that $100 billion is way low, and at a time when I’ve read the Japanese economy was fragile to begin with.

Thanks specialist for putting the debt numbers to seconds. Even a cave man can understand how critical the debt problem is that way. As to WI, Herman Cain said, what part of broke do the unions not understand. I’ll add, nationally, what part of broke do the unions not understand. Hopefully we are seeing the state government employees waterloo moment before our eyes. Next will be the entitlements.

4. speciallist March 13th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

they shut down the trains…people found other ways to get home

5. cactusjack March 13th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Our hearts go to the suffering of the Japanese people in the north home islands. They are culturally prepared, as a truly ancient nation, to pull through this. And quietly, preparedly, Japan has been one of our best allies the last 20 years. They have no problem understanding China is the great coming common enemy and have been acting accordingly. Word has it they were about ready to go clean North Korea’s clock last year on their own, due to some NK missiles being shot across Japan’s territorial airspace, but the US had to restrain them by their collar from retaliating against N Korea. The Japanese are worth every bit of support we can give them on all fronts in their hour of need.

6. erickbrockway March 13th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Here’s a graphic that shows the difference between the was it is vs. the way it was. In the center of each pic is a slider you can move left or right to see more or less of each area.

Devastating just doesn’t cover it…

• mriggio March 14th, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Good grief! It looks as bad as you might expect from a nearby nuke! Unbelievable!