It appears that the scales have fallen from the eyes of the libidiots who are running our schools. Last year the Race for the Top had over a 1000 takers, this year?, 14 Stinky Fish Wrapped And Delivered.
The issue as I see it would be that after the debacle of last years paperwork ala New Jersey The Amount Of Money It Must Of Cost To Put That Together and the stories of the amount of paperwork involved just turned them off. I suspect a lot of the schools as well just do not want to dance around with the Department of Education on anything more then they have to. I would like to think they are turned off by Obama but the truth is, they probably don’t care about him one way or the other.
An internal White House memo indicates that the White House is facing a shortage of applications less than a week before the deadline.
The competition was extended from the February 25 deadline until Friday, March 11 after few schools met the original application deadline. CBS News has learned a White House Communications Office internal memo dated February 22 noted “a major issue with the Commencement Challenge.”
“As of yesterday we had received 14 applications and the deadline is Friday,” the memo said. The memo also urged recipients to, “please keep the application number close hold.”
A follow-up memo on February 28 reported receipt of 68 applications. Noting the competition among more than 1,000 schools last year, the memo said, “Something isn’t working.” It called on staffers to ask “friendly congressional, gubernatorial and mayoral offices” to encourage schools to apply.
Something isn’t working alright, that something is the regulations and stipulations and drudgery that comes with having to ask Washington, DC for anything.