Happy Hour at the NCO Club – Dogs vs. Cats

Happy Hour at the NCO Club
Take a seat at the bar and order something. It's still early.

We here at Unified Patriots don’t see ourselves as officers, but as regular folk who work for a living. So when we fraternize we do it in a place that isn’t so hoity toity that you need to wash your face or clean your nails before pushing the door open and crossing the threshold.

Step up to the bar, pilgrims, get yourself a drink, and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang.

Today’s suggested ice-breaker is: Are you a dog person or a cat person? Why?

The comments are open. Have at it!

0 0 votes
beaglescout
Twitter: @beaglescout

#NotMyImpeachment
Previous articleUSA falls behind Europe with First-Trainer Physical Fitness Fail
Next articleBefore You Fight That Next Blog Duel…Listen To The Doctor

EastBayLarry
March 3, 2011 5:06 pm

Both.
Oh I know ‘A dog is a mans’ best friend’, but they are still lousey at catching mice. 😉

vassarB
March 3, 2011 5:31 pm

Dogs make me cry, had three that made it to 15. cats make me sneeze.

Arwen
Arwen
March 3, 2011 5:51 pm

Howdy to all, pass the beer pitcher, please. Dogs & cats – love both, especially labs, but I have 4 rescue cats at present. Cats are lower maintenance, beaglescout. 🙂

vassarB
March 3, 2011 5:58 pm

My dad shot our last one, he was crippled and blind, but he refused to simply dispose of him with the vet. My dad was real proper about that. Drove him to high country in AZ, and if I know him, talked to him for an hour, explaining…you know what I mean…and telling him all about the great years they’d had together…then spending an hour burying him in that hard dirt they have. He admired that dog more than most people. Best friend he ever had in his later life, I’m sure. For 7-8 years of my life, mine too.… Read more »

SEC
SEC
March 3, 2011 6:02 pm

Currently, 4 dogs and 1 cat. My little Fox Terrier, Bear, turned 15 on Oct. 7 last year. He still runs, yes I said runs, with the younger ones on walks for at least a little bit. Vassar, I’m not surprised that you got 3 to 15, with the love and dignity you give to everyone and everything. My cat, that showed up at my house, makes me feel like I have at least a pound of hair in my nose. She adores my husband, and beaglescout, if you think they are low maintenance, wait. They want to be left… Read more »

redneck hippie
Editor
March 3, 2011 6:07 pm

I’ve had both. Here’s the story of “Kitty.” When she was a later-found-out-to-be-pregnant stray, we told my daughter to go in the house and get the cat something to eat. So she did, but she came back out with a banana. Then there’s Malcolm, one of my daughter’s 2 present dogs. Malcolm is just like a tall, skinny cat–a bird dog they found at the shelter who went by the name of Mr. Brown. They theorize the original owners weren’t too good because they gave him up when he was no longer young but in good health. When he gets… Read more »

SEC
SEC
March 3, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey, I recognize that bar in the picture. Isn’t that where ErickBrockway and Nessa were hanging out while awaiting the launch of this site. I believe the tatoo section is in the back.

erickbrockway
Editor
March 3, 2011 6:10 pm

Cats, don’t hafta teach them where to poop, just stick ’em in sand. I’m allergic to ’em too, but WTH.

Believe it, our last cat was named BooBoo Kitty (no relation), and we had him for over ten years.

RottDawg
Editor
March 3, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, I have always been a dawg person… til I had to put down my Rottie… as cold as it may sound, and I am sure it does because I’ve been told… lossing that dog was harder on my than loosing my dad this past September. Norm (my Rott) died 12 years ago and I switched to McCaws… they live to be 60-80years old and I figure this way I don’t have to deal with another pet dying on me.

Ron Robinson
Editor
March 3, 2011 6:21 pm

Dawg. Not ‘splainin’.

eburke
Editor
March 3, 2011 6:22 pm

Definitely a dog dude. Never had much hankerin’ for the aloofness of cats. Remind me to much of high-maintenance women.

/ducks

pilgrim
Editor
March 3, 2011 6:29 pm

Pilgrim is here to get a drink. Does this joint have Kraken?

YLovell
YLovell
March 3, 2011 7:05 pm

Currently I have 2 cats. Both “males”. My fat boy Roger, Also known as Sumo or Catdog, just showed up on my doorstep one day and wouldn’t take no for an answer. Calvin is my brother’s cat, who he brought along for the ride after he lost his house during the recent troubles. Calvin also just showed up at my brother’s jobsite one day and ….. We were worried how they would get along at first and I personally saw a few examples of the expression “Fur will fly” in action. Luckily, they have settled down and agreed to just… Read more »

YLovell
YLovell
March 3, 2011 7:07 pm

PS, this bar has a lot of ambiance. I’ll be back cause you know I love me some Bushmills too!

Stix
March 3, 2011 7:09 pm

I pretty much love all animals and have had many different critters throughout my live. We even had pet snakes we caight and some pet snapping turtles.

And a song for the bar

Queen Hotchibobo
Editor
March 3, 2011 8:45 pm

I like cats *and* dogs. Dogs keep my feet warm when I want them to, tell me when company’s coming and wag their tails when they see me.

Cat’s eat mice and rumble a happy rumble when I hold or rub them them.

All of these things make me happy.

And a special thank you to all my friends at UP. You guys make me happy too!!

speciallist
Editor
March 3, 2011 10:14 pm

my fangs are dripping Cat blood #livinsheen

streetwise
Editor
March 3, 2011 10:43 pm

OK, dear readers, this is a test: choose which one is the Navy club and which is Army!

Army v Navy

streetwise
Editor
March 3, 2011 10:47 pm

Oh, and I like dogs, but am definitely a cat person. Cats are not aloof They just have lives!

My cats have been by my side blog after blog, radio show after radio show. But what are they thinking? 🙂

mbecker908
March 3, 2011 11:09 pm

We are dog folk. Served Franz Prince of Dogness for 17 wonderful years and for the first ten we had the honor to serve Hanz Brother of The Prince of Dogness.

It’s been 2 1/2 months since Franz went to the Bone Fight in the Sky with Hanz and Mrs908 still miss him every day.

A.C. Swiger-AceInTX
March 3, 2011 11:22 pm

I’m all Dawg and NO CATS…

Only goo cat is a dead cat IMHO…HEH

I kid actually…I’m allergic to cats but they have their uses around the barn yard keeping away mice, rats and snakes…but I’m bothered by the allergies and don’t like the arrogance an holier than thou airs a cat puts on…

give me a dopey mutt like Odie any day heh

A.C. Swiger-AceInTX
March 4, 2011 7:37 am

Hey guys,

I need a tutorial on how to post stories over here….

A.C. Swiger-AceInTX
March 4, 2011 7:38 am

By the way, I suggest making “The NCO club a place to come in and post random thoughts. Put a link to the thread in the menu bar and just leave the thread open and running

Thoughts?

A.C. Swiger-AceInTX
March 4, 2011 7:41 am

Make it a permanent open thread if you will

nessa
Editor
March 4, 2011 10:59 am

Mighty fine NCO Club you set up here Beaglescout!

I can’t rightly pick one or the other. If I’m out shopping for a new pet its a dog, but there are two cats in the house too. Got a German Shepard, she’s a sweetheart but spoiled. She won’t eat biscuits, she figured out that if she passes on the biscuit I will feel guilty and share some of my chicken.

Kimberly_Schwartz
March 4, 2011 6:56 pm

I like this place; glad to have found my way here and to see some familiar faces. Thanks, VB, for giving me directions. Just hoping I don’t make a total fool of myself right out of the gate trying to imbed this image…. Dogs or cats? BOTH, but hold the reptiles, rodents, and insects, please. I like most dogs and most cats better than I like most people. Dogs are loyal and remind you constantly that you’re important to somebody. Cats remind you constantly that you aren’t as important as you might believe. We just had to say goodbye to… Read more »

mriggio
March 5, 2011 9:47 am

This NCO Club looks vaguely familiar. I was wondering where in heck everyone went; sorry I’m late to the party, but mighty glad to have caught up with y’all. I don’t much care for that-there Kraken stuff Barkeep, but I’ll take a Captain Morgan & Coke, since it’s still early and all. Three cats: Boo the Eldest, picked up in a parking lot just weaned and abandoned 15 years ago; Frankie Blue-Eyes and sister Gabbie, fetched from the farm 4 years ago, Boo hates them both. One dog, Shadow, a lab-collie mix, on (long-term) loan from step-son #2, since Army… Read more »