Perry Blasts Obama for Slow Federal Response to Texas Fires

The winds returned to Texas on Thursday and the wildfires may soon be roaring again. With over 200,000 acres burned in recent weeks, and hundreds of people burned out of their homes, Texas has been waiting on Obama since April 16th. Where’s the emergency declaration? Crickets.

Here’s Perry in an interview with WOAI radio, San Antonio:

“You see hundreds of thousands of acres of Texas burning and you know that there will soon be emergency declarations, and we did that now a couple of weeks ago, but still no response from this administration,” Perry told 1200 WOAI’s Michael Board after addressing the Texas Emergency Management Conference in San Antonio.

“There is a point in time where you say, hey, what’s going on here,” Perry said. “You have to ask why are you taking care of Alabama and other states? I know our letter didn’t get lost in the mail.”

Full WOAI interview here.

How bad were the fires? Check the video below:

It’s not that Texas can’t handle it . . . it is the fact that Texas generates billions in tax receipts for the Feds (a huge net positive) but when the state calls on the Feds to help as they already have in countless other states, Texans get the middle finger. OK fine, we get it and back at you, you Marxist dipstick. You’ll lose this state by 20+.

***anecdote*** : The Forest Service finally showed up in Graham TX, pop 8900, (edge of the Possum Kingdom fires) last week. I have a store there and my Regional Manager saw this first hand. The Forest Service’s first action was to tell the churches to shut down their food assistance (sandwiches, snacks, etc) to the displaced families and fire fighters on the fire line.

They said, “we are in charge now and you don’t have a license.” That didn’t go down well in a county that voted 82-18 against Obama in ’08.

To all those lefty blogs out there saying Texas and Governor Perry can’t have it both ways, Texans say hey, you take billions from the state. When we have an emergency, we expect to get some of that back, just like any other state.

Many Texans are looking at the vindictive treatment the state is receiving and saying to themselves, why do we need a federal government that is treating us so poorly? Texas industry is being strangled by the EPA. The Obama administration is trying to force a national health care plan on Texas that a majority of the state’s citizens believe is unconstitutional. Obama spends like a crack addict, deflating the value of our currency. The shutdown of the Gulf continues in defiance of a Federal judge. The list of grievances is long.

And so it has begun again. Texans are channeling Thomas Jefferson and thinking about these words from the Declaration of Independence:

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government . . .

Haven’t heard this much Texas secession chatter since the end days of the Carter administration. Perhaps a foreshadowing?

1. redneck hippie says:

Sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind comes to mind. A destroying wind coming out of…Texas, perhaps. Blow ye winds, blow.

2. I want Rick Perry at the top of the GOP ticket in 2012 so badly I can taste it.
    He’s smart, strong, charismatic and has been a successful governor and is definitely not the milquetoast that the rest of the current candidates seem to be. He has absolutely tremendous appeal, IMO… think everyone has forgotten him on the cover of Time with Come and Take it on his boot? Not.
    I get it that he watched up-close-and-personally what the lunatic-left did to the last governor from Texas. Who in their right mind would willingly sign up for that? But I believe we can unseat opuppet if we have a STRONG candidate. I would really like it if Perry could be convinced to jump in and take one for the team because I absolutely believe he would win… Repub/Ind/cons would be coming out of the woodwork to vote for him… and run Marco Rubio with him for VP… they would mop the floor with our least favorite Marxist.

• texasgalt says:

Perry would make a fine president. I just wonder if America is ready for another president from Texas.

I do not think he will run. If you have time, take a look at this weeks South Carolina presidential debates. Watch for Herman Cain.

• lineholder says:

texasgalt, I’ve watched Cain’s progress as well. The MSM isn’t even acknowledging that he is in the race. Hey, we are getting a lot of that response from our own side as well.

I saw a poll over at Hot Air that was really interesting. Cain’s name recognition is increasing. A lot of people like what the man has to offer. It will be interesting to watch as the situation unfolds.

• I assume from your sign in that you are in Texas (I’m jealous!) so you would certainly know more about what goes on down there than I would since I am stuck in wretched Chattanooga, TN.
        Re another president from Texas… I think the American public is more ready than you think… I think if Perry ran with Rubio they would be unbeatable… then appoint Cucinelli as AG and triple Issa’s budget and there would be the proverbial dancing in the streets. Thanks in part to Fox News and the internet, people know what is going on and they are supremely angry and totally tired of it all and I believe they would rally behind anyone they thought would put a stop to all the spending/lies/regs/usurpation etc ad infinitum.
        Perry has certainly established his pro-business creds and I believe he would unwind a lot of the crippling regs the current marxist regieme has imposed. I’m here in the middle of the Bible Belt (currently wondering just exactly why they are breaking ground as we speak for a brand shiny new Islamic Center here) and most of the people I know here look upon opuppet as the Anti-Christ, myself included. They woudn’t care if Perry was from Texas or the moon. He presents as strong, successful in his job, able to right the economy and willing to DRILL. Believe me when I tell you that is all anyone around here would care about… his zip code of origin would be utterly inconsequential. And all the Blue Hairs would think he looks like someone out of a John Wayne movie and vote for him en masse.
        The left will be vile to any R who runs unless that candidate is such a wimp that he/she poses no percieved threat to dah one. So let’s throw our Sunday Best hat into the ring with the full knowledge of what is coming.

• cactusjack says:

I have never taken my eye off Perry because, whether he says he will run or not, he, more than any other Governor, even more than the excellent Bobby Jindahl, has been in a real smackdown economic fight with Obama. It angers me beyond words that I have lived to see the day a State of the Union was singularly targetted and abused the way -0- has done to Texas. People in the State flat out ask now, “why does he hate us?” not that they ever believed there was any love lost here folks. But i’s like he’s crazy mad obsessed with taking down the Lone Star State. Lady Penguin will have to do another analysis piece about what has sent him into this destructive Texas Derangement Syndrome. Meanwhile, yes 200,000 acres have burnt because there are ranches in Texas larger than some entire NE States. Not that the WH cares. Yes the population of TX long ago passed New York State, and sometime mid century will catch CA as will Texas largest city overtake Chicago as #3 size city. Guess they better do something about it! The tipping point is coming much sooner however. It is when CA and NY go insolvent and journey, hat in hand, to the WH: “we need us a lot of cash, boss, and real fast.” -0-, looking around at shakedown candidates on the horizon, targets the the last few major US industries not gutted and the last few (solid Red) states generating jobs, income and *significant revenue* to the federal government. Guess which state is high up on that list? Call it an economic civil war if you want. It’s coming, people in Texas feel it coming, which is why common folks by the millions are thinking as TXGalt describes, and Governor Perry has been fighting -0- legally and economically for two years now. He knows we’re in the fight of our lives with someone trying to destroy us. Do the other potential really get this – really feel this?

• I believe it boils down to one thing and one thing only… Texas has absolutely no need for any kind of handouts from the federal government (think
            race To The Top where Perry wisely said “no thanks”).
            Texas has copious natural resources, a whole lot of cash, businesses are flocking, and its citizenry has the spine and all the attitude necessary to go it alone (as in secession)…and dah one absolutely hates them for it because they not only don’t fit into his world view, they will fight it tooth and nail.
            If you live in Texas, when someone asks why the dictator-wannabe hates Texas, tell them to wear that hatred with pride… like a badge of honor. He hates Texas because on a daily basis the citizens and the business climate make a mockery of his tax-and-spend progressive policies and it is all right out there for the entire world to see. Stand tall, Texas. Would that I were there.

3. I sure hope the good sandwich-serving folks in Graham told the Federal license-checkers-”Yeah, I got yer license, right here!”

• texasgalt says:

The rough-edged folks of Graham grumbled and fussed but know this wasn’t a foothill worth feuding over- not while the fires were still burning.

The fires are out now and there were showers in the area this morning. The people of Graham will be about their business tomorrow. . . pumping wells, hauling off salt water, building fence and feeding the cows.

At noon, the boys will come into the Dairy Queen, some with their spurs still on. They’ll talk about the price of gas and the anti-American in the White House. Then they’ll go back to work.

These are the people that make Texas work; not the statist overlords in a faraway capitol.

4. lineholder says:

texasgalt, my heart goes out to you and all the people of Texas who are facing this devastating crisis. The fires in and of themselves are devastating enough, but the cold-hearted, calculated callousness coming from the WH is beyond the pale.

What’s more, we’ve got too many in our government (Repubs and Dems alike) who are enabling this behavior with their lack of responsibility.

On the brighter side of this, I’ve got no doubt that Texas will start seeing even more activism to turn the tide in 2012.